Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bản sắc Việt Nam

Dinner with our Vietnamese friends was an absolute blast. As if they knew we were craving American food, we went to a barbeque place a few blocks away from our hotel, but we, of course, had to ride the motor bikes there. I got to ride with Dang there. At dinner, we talked about life in America and life in Vietnam. I complimented Ngan on her cooking, and she said that it was something she really loved to do. For a Saigon Special and grilled chicken, the meal only cost about $4 USD, only a fraction of what it would have been in the United States.


After dinner, we walked back to our hotel the long way through downtown. I walked and talked with Ngan, and it was funny because now that Jackie was gone, we could make fun of Tim. I started it by calling him “autistic” in Vietnamese, the equivalent to “stupid” here, as he crossed the street. We saw Notre Dame and another French building. Tim and I conversed in French a little bit, and everyone was so interested to  learn the language. We also later saw a poster of Nick Cage, an actor that my friends and I enjoy watching in the United States. Ricky and I explained to the Vietnamese the view that Americans have of Nick Cage in the States: comedic value from his attempted dramatic films. We also tried to convince our Vietnamese friends to come to the beach with us on Sunday; hopefully they will say yes!

They walked us home around 10:15, and everyone came back to hang out in my room. Tim was soon asleep, and I followed. It was probably only around 11 PM, but I was exhausted. Good thing I woke up this morning on my own; I had forgot to set an alarm!

At breakfast, it seems that I had finally gotten over our craving for American food, as I was content again with the rice and other choices being offered. We got on the bus for the day and soon arrived at school. I was excited to attend history class with Nguyen Ngoc Tho. He offered a lot of insight into Vietnamese culture; I find it especially cool how the Vietnamese were able to conserve their cultural identity despite one thousand years of Chinese colonization and how so many cultural groups can exist within one country. It made me think of our own culture, where diversity is our cultural identity itself.


The Vietnamese take pride in their culture, but they are also influenced more and more today by Western ideals. Here is a video that we watched in class today.

We ate lunch at the canteen. French fries were part of the choices for food, and they went so fast! At lunch, we watched Vietnamese music videos on the TV. They certainly are interesting and remind me of old US music videos where people actually dance.

After lunch, we hung out in the library before game time with the UEF students. I checked Facebook and friended a few UEF students. Then came game time. Alex and I repped team nan (five) with My and a few students I had not met yet. At first, we just talked about our cultural differences in regard to food, greetings, and housing. Then we played games, including charades, a dance off, and a game like twister. One game involved me picking up one of the UEF girls and spin her around my body without her touching the ground. I felt so bad because her jeans kept falling down, but I think I was more embarrassed than she was. Eventually, Alex climbed around me as well. The highlight of the games, though, had to have been the catching the pig game; UEF released a pig in a small pen and we had to catch it with our bare hands. UEF even offered it to us as a pet to take back to the US. I don’t think customs would appreciate it so much.

Our afternoon concluded with the exchange of gifts and singing all together. We chose, of course, to sing Backstreet Boys “As Long as You Love Me” in a circle, as I have found Backstreet Boys to be quite popular here in Viet Nam. We had a dance party after. I’m sure the Macarena and Chicken Dance would have been pretty funny sights to witness for anyone watching.

We tried so many new foods today: a lotus plant, a dragon fruit, and a “sugar apple” type thing with spikes. All delicious, would not be possible to get in the States.

We are on TV here in Vietnam at 7:45. Can’t wait to watch. After, we are going out to finally try pho with our Vietnamese friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment