Sunday, May 13, 2012

Son of a Beach


Busy weekend! Missed blogging yesterday, but here’s a rundown of my weekend.

Dominos was great, though I found that it made me a little sick to my stomach to eat. I guess I am getting used to Vietnamese food where everything is incredibly fresh and much less greasy. Nevertheless, it was nice to have American food and get a little reminder of home.

After Dominos, we rode over to the light bridge in South Saigon (Phu My Hung). Reggie, Jackie, and I took the taxi over so we arrived first and walked around a little bit. It was really cool to see, but being there came with a few surprises. First, the number of couples there and the PDA was outrageous when considering traditional cultural rules surrounding couples (no holding hands even).  Also, I find it interesting how we are such celebrities to everyone. This is the first time that I really noticed this, probably because this was the first time we were really surrounded by that volume of people. A couple even came up to us and asked to take a picture with them.

We got home Friday night and hung out in Jackie and Kathy’s room for a bit.

We got to sleep in a little bit on Saturday morning, and after, we took a tour of Ho Chi Minh. Our first stop was Reunification Hall. When we arrived, we took pictures outside of the building and then made our way into the building. As the tour guide gave the history of the building, it occurred to me just how different our countries view the Vietnam War, or to them, the War of American Aggression. Of all subjects, one would never think history could be biased toward one side, but other factors make this simply not the case.

During the tour, all I could think about was my reading of The Things They Carried, probably because I had spoken with Dr. Berman about it outside. It was dreadfully hot inside, but I was still interested. This was where history was made for Vietnam and where Americans fought. Cool to think about.

Outside Reunification Hall

So hot at Reunification Hall! 

After leaving Reunification Hall, we took a bus down to the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Post Office. The French built both buildings during colonization. They were cool to see but nothing new because our UEF friends had taken us a few nights ago. While there, though, I bought a few things to take back to the United States. We still had one more sight to see.

Outside Notre Dame Cathedral

That sight was a Buddhist temple like ones you would expect to see in China. The outside was really cool, but inside was a much more exciting experience. When we walked into the temple, we had to take off our shoes. Upon walking in, there was a huge relic of Buddha in the middle of the room. You could walk around the building and see tributes to the dead. Each had a picture and food/drink. According to Buddhism, one brings food and water to the dead because it is believed that that person still eats and drinks even in the afterlife. It’s comparable to us bringing flowers for graves, though I am not exactly sure why we do that (in fact, I am realizing more and more that I have no clue exactly why we do the things we do; Vietnamese have much more of a sense and purpose).

Jackie and me in the temple 

The thing that struck me as most interesting about the temple, though, was a sign on the Buddha’s chest that looked like a Swastika. I had never known until Ricky told me that that symbol had always been a symbol of peace. The Nazi party changed it slightly.

At that point, we were done for the day. We returned to our hotel and swam in the rain.  After, Tuan and company picked us up to go to the market. Apparently, I am a good bargainer, or at least that’s what the vendors told me. I was able to find a t-shirt, some things for my sisters, and more there. Even if I got ripped off a little bit, it was fun to interact with the vendors and practice my Vietnamese. Everyone is so excited when we speak it, even if we butcher the pronunciation.

We took a taxi back and were picked up shortly after for Karaoke. It seemed like Ricky and I were the only ones singing, so I can’t wait to see any embarrassing videos that may show up on Facebook! We got back shortly after and got ready to go out to a club. We soon arrived at Lush, apparently the most Western club in Ho Chi Minh city. It was a lot of fun.

Early this morning, we got up to go to the beach at Vung Tau. We looked like such tourists on the beach, especially Jackie with her traditional hat that she had bought at Ben Than market on Saturday.

Riding the boat was really cool because it allowed us to see the rural side of Vietnam. The tree cover was so incredibly thick that I find it hard to believe that anyone lives there or could ever fight there in war. Along the way, we saw some shacks by the river, and I was reminded of the poverty that some of the country faces. It was actually sad to think about; I think we often take pictures of the boats and shacks but think little of the people that live there.

Matching tanks to the beach, all from the market

After arriving, it was like a completely different world as compared to Ho Chi Minh. It was not nearly as crowded (proven by the fact that we were the only ones in the restaurant at lunch later that day) and it certainly had that “beach town” feel to it. We drove to the beach and chilled a little bit before playing games for team building. Kathy and I played a three-legged balloon pop game and lost terribly, but it was still fun to play. Everyone at the beach enjoyed watching us and taking pictures. As if we weren’t out of place already, dancing ridiculously or doing any other one of our activities had to provide entertainment for them.

After team building, we swam in the ocean. As the South China Sea is connected to the Pacific Ocean, I find it really cool to now be able to say that I have seen the Pacific from both sides. Additionally, we played some soccer; we have a match on Friday, so bring it on UEF!

We left the beach at around 12:30 and went to lunch. Our choices were mainly fish or fish, which I did not like so much. I did not feel like being adventurous today and trying squid. I ate a lot of rice and vegetables. They were still good, though.

We had to rehydrate before venturing up to the Jesus statue at the very top of the mountain of Van Tau. So many steps! We were all sweating really badly by the time we reached the top. Seeing it though was interesting, especially as I am Catholic. It is cool to know that religion connects people around the world; I felt connected to the Vietnamese people praying there.

Again, we were celebrities during this entire adventure. Jackie, Elliot, Reggie, and I had a group of about 20 Vietnamese come up to us, and they took pictures with us for five minutes straight. A little girl really liked Jackie and came up to talk to her after. It was funny to see because she must of thought that we knew more Vietnamese than we actually did. None of us understood what she was saying, and when Jackie asked for her name, the girl’s face was priceless. The funniest part about it all had to have been when she left with the group. She said goodbye in perfect English.

The trek down was much more enjoyable and less strenuous. We enjoyed the view of the ocean and had some time to stop before we had to “Home Alone” it to make it to the boat before it took off. The hour and a half home went by quick, though the water made my stomach a bit uneasy while sitting in the dock. We made plans to go out to dinner tonight.


P.S. Happy Mothers' Day, Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment