Friday, May 18, 2012

Cu Chi and Tay Ninh Day Trip

Blog from Thursday...I wrote never had time to post until now!



We had to get up bright and early on Thursday to visit the Cu Chi Tunnels. Luckily, the hour and a half drive out of the city into the countryside wasn’t all that bad at all; I immediately fell asleep on the bus on the way there. When we arrived, we sun-screened and bug sprayed up and walked up to the area reserved for tourists. The tour started with a short video about the history of the tunnels in regard to the war in Vietnam. It was not something that I was expecting fully, but it was still interesting to see, once again providing a second side to the history that was made.

The tour progressed with a few of us trying one of the entrances to the tunnels from the ground. It was basically a trap door that you could climb into and slide a rock over top of you when you were inside. It was so incredibly small! We next saw another entrance, this one a bit bigger. It allowed us to see down inside. The tour continued with a weapons display. There was an on site shooting range that you could fire at and an American tank on display. These made me a bit uncomfortable.

The best part of the day trip was going down inside of the tunnels, though. I was surprised at how big the tunnels were; I was expecting much smaller, though I still did have to crouch significantly. The tunnels made me a bit closterphobic, but not uncomfortably so. Soon after, however, I was told that the tunnels we had explored had been made bigger so that people could actually go inside (about two times the size of the actual tunnels). I would have never fit!

Jackie going down into the tunnel

We left Cu Chi and made our way to a Caoist temple at Tay Ninh. I was a little bit disappointed that we could not stay here longer, but I found it very interesting regardless. We got to see the beginning of a ceremony right around noon. Caoism combines the best of the major religions of the world all into one. It was interesting to see the French influence; Victor Hugo is one of their three major saints. Also, the presence of the all-seeing eye was an interesting addition.

Temple at Tay Ninh

We stopped for lunch on the way home. When I wasn’t dozing off on the bus, I was looking out at the countryside. It was a completely different view than from that I have been accustomed to here. Rice paddy fields stretched to the horizon, and it was almost like beholding an entirely different country.

As soon as we got back home, we rushed to the Ben Than market to get some last minute souvenir shopping finished. I did not buy all that much this time, but it was still fun to go. We finished up there at around 5:15 and headed over to a t-shirt selling graphic tees with Vietnamese slogans. Some people wanted to head over to the Adidas store, but I stayed outside the shop and tried iced tea sweetened with sugar cane before walking to the European place for dinner.

Rockin' the Ray Bans

Beefsteak for dinner was awesome, and I was surprised that I could get so much food for only about 60,000 dong.  I sure will be cheap with my money when I get back home to the United States! We all paid for the UEF students. The most random part of the night has to be either eating ostrich or getting crème brulee for dessert…in Vietnam!

We headed back to the hotel and after much contemplation, we decided to go to Lush one last time. When we arrived, it was practically empty, so we posted up on the couches that are normally otherwise reserved before heading back home shortly after.



No comments:

Post a Comment