Sunday, May 6, 2012

If it's not cute, then keep it on mute


What I predicted as a dreadful morning turned out to be incredibly pleasant. Of course, it was not possible for me to leave Pittsburgh without forgetting at least something, I ran to Rite Aid early in the morning then stopped off at Dunkin Donuts before taking the 28X to the airport. Once on the plane to Chicago, I passed out for the entire flight. I literally remember only the takeoff and the landing, but I did also have an interesting conversation with the lady who was “hangover on wine” during the flight.

We arrived in Chicago, and immediately I noticed the size difference. Pittsburgh is tiny compared to O’Hare! Tim had been there before, though, and he took us to see the lit up people mover and a huge dinosaur. After, we grabbed lunch and all waited together to board for Hong Kong.

The flight to Hong Kong was not exactly what I had expected. The plane, first off, was massive. I read that it has a 211-foot wingspan, and two floors; talk about the “shock factor” there! I had thought the plane would resemble Delta’s aircraft that I took to France with plenty of leg room and screens on the back of the chairs to pass the time. Instead, the tray tables had to keep me entertained for 14:22 as my legs sat crammed next to Jackie’s. Kidding, The airplane food sucked, by the way. It’ll be better in Vietnam when I can get a pulled pork sandwich for a nickel. Food cart challenge, #YOLO.

After a short nap, we stretched our legs moved to the back of the plane. We looked out the window to see the Arctic below us. Snow everywhere, only -57 degrees C right outside of the plane. Finally, we met with a Vietnamese man who had some tips for us. Some agreed with what we had been told pre-departure; some tips didn’t and so I guess I will have to see for myself.

1.     The Heat will hit us at first but it will not be as bad as we may expect. Let’s sure hope!
2.     Corruption will be widespread. He told us about how police officers will pull motorcycle drivers over (because the motorcycle is luxurious compared to the mopeds most citizens drive) and check for registrations…no registration, the cop keeps your bike and you’re walking, buddy. He also told us that cops could be easily bought off, especially upon entering the country. Not to worry you or anything, Mom.
3.     The food is apparently awesome, especially the fruit. We were told not to eat anything that you have to bite directly into, but apparently the bananas and mangos are amazing. Also, he told us to check out the food stands in marketplaces at night; the selections are completely different.
4.     Bargaining will be important. Many Vietnamese try to overcharge foreigners. The students we meet will help us out on this one.
5.     No toilets. Yep, the Vietnamese squat. Even the women.
6.     Fun fact: Vietnamese citizens don’t have cups and drink their water out of Ziploc bags. After they’re done, they just throw them on the street. Vietnamese don’t care!

The rest of the flight was long, and I slept most of the way to Hong Kong. I'm sitting in the airport in Hong Kong now and can't even believe that I am here. We have about seven hours of travel left, but I am getting more and more excited every minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment